To me, in-laws will always remain as in-laws/ or a meaner way to call them - outsiders...they are called 'in-laws' for apparrent reason - family recognised by the law. However, I have to admit that I do not have any major problems with my in-laws, neither do they come from hell...thank goodness for those...but then again.....I shall not say further.....Life is good so far.....
Anyway, as I was reading the May 2009 issue of Reader's Digest this afternoon, I came across this ......
13 THINGS YOUR MOTHER-IN-LAW WON'T TELL YOU
...my response to each statement in red. Bear in mind, it's not directed to any person in particular, just my response in general....
1. I spent a couple of decades being the leading lady; now I have a character role. It hurts to be downsized
you are being sensitive. who in the world downsize you?
2. I know he's your husband now, but he's still my son
I very well know that too. That's why you are my mother-in-law. No husband, no mother-in-law
3. You don't seem very confident about yourself. The littlest comment from me is taken as a criticisim, so I'm very careful what I say around you.
Please continue being careful of what you say then.....volcanos won't erupt if you continue being careful.....
4. Every year, I send you a birthday present, but you never even pick up the phone to thank me.
That's because you probably didnt thank me too....
5. We mothers say to our children, "I want you to be happy." And we mean that. What we don't say is "But I would like to be happy too."
Aren't you happy that your son found his life-partner? And please be direct. Tell your children you want to be happy, just like them too.
6. I've bought and sold 13 houses in my life. Why won't you ask for my advice?
Well, your experience 50 years ago might be different from today's. Thanks anyway. Shall go to you for advice if required.
7. When I visit you, I'm not coming for a white-glove inspection. I just want to see the family.
Argh...admit it. You are in for a spot-check! You just do it discreetly.
8. When I really want to talk to my son privately, I don't call your house. I call his mobile phone.
Good! Keep it that way.
9. I'm so happy that you allow my son - your husband - to visit me on Mother's Day. I'm truly appreciative.
That's because I have a mother too. And I'm a mother myself. I know how that feels....
10. My dirty little secret: I'm afraid that if I don't get this right, you'll cut me off.
So make sure you ALWAYS get it right!
11. I'm in competition with your mother. She takes you on vacations every year and buys things I can't afford.
That's because SHE's MY mother.
12. Whenever I stay at your house, you always have my room ready, my towels, everything. You do all the right things. I'm lucky to have you!
Then why can't you just open your mouth and tell? We will be happier and feel appreciated.
13. I cherish the refrigerator magnet you gave me. "Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill."
Good that you know how to...