Tuesday, February 02, 2010

and the wait continues....

My results were out today....no pre-cancerous cells were detected from my biopsy (a huge relief there!) BUT I've been diagnosed with HPV (Human Papillomavirus).

I'll let the article abstracted from the internet do the explanation......

Human Papillomavirus, more commonly known as HPV, is a viral infection spread through skin to skin sexual contact. HPV is a group of over 100 different viruses, with at least 30 strains known to cause different types of cancer. There is currently no cure for HPV.







How Can You Get HPV






HPV is transmitted by skin to skin contact through vaginal, anal and oral sex with a partner who already has HPV. If infected, signs and symptoms may take weeks, months and even years to appear. Symptoms may never appear.






Symptoms of HPV






Symptoms of HPV normally appear in the form a cauliflower like growths called genital warts. These warts may also be flat. They can be found on the inside and the outside of the vagina. These growths may take weeks or even years to show after having sex with an infected partner. Again, they may appear show at all.






How Do I Know If I Have HPV?






An HPV test can be done to determine if a person has HPV. Testing samples of cervical cells is an effective way to identify high-risk types of HPVs that may be present. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved an HPV test that can identify 13 of the high-risk types of HPVs associated with the development of cervical cancer. There is currently no test to determine if a man has HPV.






Preventing HPV






Abstaining from any type of sexual realtions is ideal in preventing HPV, but not very realisitc these days for adults. Wearing a condom provides limited protection. The male condom provides limited protection. Keep in mind that since HPV may not show any visible symptoms, your partner may still be infected.

I have no idea how I contracted such virus for according to my gynae, "HPV is not necessarily contracted through sexual intercourse alone. One could also easily get the virus from the toilet seats!...." and that makes me wonder even further..........where?when?how?who?????...etc.....millions of questions....with no answers, of course..... :(

Well, I've had another round of pap-smear done again today to determine the DNA of the HPV in me - if it's a high risk or low risk virus. I can still be vaccinated against cervical cancer if it's of the low risk category (praying hard tht I belong to this category) but IF I'm at the high risk group (13 out of 130); there's nothing much that can be done apart from diligently having my annual pap smear done in hope that it wont turn pre-cancerous. SO yes.....and the wait continues......it's another round of anticipation for the results in 2 weeks time......one after another......

*I'd like to thank those who were concern about me and who took the effort in contacting me for the updates of my medical condition. Words cannot describe how your tweets, phone calls and sms-es meant so much to me, knowing that there are people out there who care and think about me when I face those 'down' moments in my life. Thank you all sooooooo much for your kind words and support. They all somehow made me stronger in facing what the future holds for me*



2 comments:

Grace said...

yayyyyy at least it's non cancerous cells.tat's a huge relief. yeah, just go for your annual pap smears. HPV sometimes can go off on its own. and cervical cancer is the type of cancer that can be prevented if detected early on. :)

Kathryne said...

yeah! keeping my fingers, toes and everything crossed :)